Sports

Chepsaita gears up for record-breaking X-Country 10,000 field race

Cynthia Ochieng November 25, 2025 3 min read

Chepsaita Cross Country Run patron Farouk Kibet/ Photo Courtesy Cynthia Ochieng'

The organizing committee of the Great Chepsaita Cross Country Run has assured athletes and stakeholders that preparations for the 3rd edition of the event are at an advanced stage, promising a bigger, more competitive and more impactful race on 6 December, 2025.

Speaking during a briefing held on Tuesday at the Chepsaita ground, the committee, led by the patron Farouk Kibet, highlighted that this year’s edition will feature enhanced logistics, improved safety measures and expanded community involvement.

“Preparations for the Third edition of the Great Chepsaita marathon are 98% complete.Various stakeholders, including the Athletics Kenya have done assessment of the race routes to ensure a competitive standard as guided by World Athletics and has given us a go ahead,” said Farouk.

According to Farouk, terrain adjustments, visible from the subsequent marathon editions, have been made to improve on the safety of the athletes.

” Everyone that has been part of this initiative from the onset can attest to the improvements of infrastructure of this place. There will be more and more improvements in the coming editions in the future.We want to take this competition worldwide” added Farouk.

The event, which has grown steadily since its inception in 2023, is expected to attract elite athletes, upcoming runners, schools, and community teams not only from across the country but also globally.

Chepsaita cross country, run for education, was an initiative made to support the needy yet talented children in their education.

Last year’s Run saw a total of twenty two schools supported with KSh 1 million for one hundred kids.

“Our focus has always been to see that this initiative not only nurtures talent but to see that no child drops out of school so that they have better future.”

Athletics Kenya chairperson Barnaba Korir revealed that registration for the run has already been closed, with this year’s registration breaking a record of 10,000 registered athletes.

According to Barnaba, registration has seen an improvement even in the number of foreign nationals.

” As time goes by, the competition here will be tough. The number of registered athletes for this edition is one that has never been heard before. One hundred foreigners have registered for the run,” said Barnaba.

Barnaba further stated that campig tents will be set up on site to accommodate athletes coming from far places, urging them to make their bookings early.

“The early bird catches the worm. Due to the large numbers, accommodation slots might run out. We urge all participants to book early even as they prepare for the big day,”

Residents have been urged to come out in large numbers during a medical camp set to happen on 2 December. Free screening and checkups including cancer screening, diabetes and even HIV/AIDS testing and counselling will be offered at the camp.

With just days to go, anticipation continues to build as the community prepares to host thousands for what promises to be an exciting and memorable sporting event.

Cynthia Ochieng

Staff Writer

Experienced journalist covering breaking news and in-depth analysis at Kurunzi News.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *